Correlation Engine 2.0
Clear Search sequence regions
Bookmark Forward

QuickView for calcium chloride (compound)


PubChem
Name: Calcium Chloride
PubChem Compound ID: 24844
Description: A salt used to replenish calcium levels, as an acid-producing diuretic, and as an antidote for magnesium poisoning.
Molecular formula: CaCl2H4O2
Molecular weight: 147.014 g/mol
Synonyms:
Calcium chloride hydrate; D02256; Calcium chloride [USAN:JAN]; Calcium chloride; Calcium chloride dihydrate; Calcium chloride (USP); Replenisher (calcium); 10035-04-8; Cal Plus; Conclyte-Ca.
show more »
DrugBank
Identification
Name: Calcium Chloride
Name (isomeric): DB01164
Drug Type: small molecule
Description: A salt used to replenish calcium levels, as an acid-producing diuretic, and as an antidote for magnesium poisoning.
Synonyms:
Anhydrous calcium chloride; Calcium chloride dihydrate; Calcium Chloride Dihydrate BP; Calcium chloride pellets; Calcium dichloride; CaCl2; Chip calcium chloride; Liquid calcium chloride; Calcium chloride, dihydrate; Calcium chloride solution.
show more »
Brand: Caloride, Intergravin-orales, Calzina oral, Huppert's reagent, Jarcal, Snomelt, Daraccel, Liquidow, U-Ramin MC, Bovikalc, Uramine MC, Homberg's phosphorus, Caltac, Superflake anhydrous, Calol, Dowflake, Chrysoxel C 4, Calplus, Peladow, Liquical, Calmate R, HSDB 923, Calcosan, Unichem calchlor, Stopit, Sure-step
Brand name mixture:
Amino Acid Concentrate Inj(Arginine Hcl + Calcium Chloride + Dexpanthenol + Dextrose + Dl-Methionine + Glutamic Acid + Histidine Hcl + Isoleucine + L-Cysteine Hydrochloride + L-Lysine Hydrochloride + Leucine + Magnesium Sulfate + Nicotinamide + Phenylalanine + Potassium Chloride + Sodium Acetate + Threonine + Tryptophan + Valine + Vitamin B1 (Th...
show more »
Category: Supplements
CAS number: 14639-81-7
Pharmacology
Indication: For the treatment of hypocalcemia in those conditions requiring a prompt increase in blood plasma calcium levels, for the treatment of magnesium intoxication due to overdosage of magnesium sulfate, and used to combat the deleterious effects of hyperkalemia as measured by electrocardiographic (ECG), pending correction of the increased potassium level in the extracellular fluid.
Pharmacology:
Calcium is the fifth most abundant element in the body and the major fraction is in the bony structure. Calcium plays important physiological roles, many of which are poorly understood. It is essential for the functional integrity of the nervous and muscular systems. It is necessary for normal cardiac function and is one of the factors that operate...
show more »
Mechanism of Action:
Calcium chloride in water dissociates to provide calcium (Ca2+) and chloride (Cl-) ions. They are normal constituents of the body fluids and are dependent on various physiological mechanisms for maintenance of balance between intake and output. For hyperkalemia, the influx of calcium helps restore the normal gradient between t...
show more »
Biotransformation: Approximately 80% of body calcium is excreted in the feces as insoluble salts; urinary excretion accounts for the remaining 20%.
Route of elimination: Approximately 80% of body calcium is excreted in the feces as insoluble salts; urinary excretion accounts for the remaining 20%.
Toxicity: Too rapid injection may produce lowering of blood pressure and cardiac syncope. Persistent hypercalcemia from overdosage of calcium is unlikely because of rapid excretion.
Affected organisms: Humans and other mammals
Interactions
Drug interaction:
CeftriaxoneCalcium Salts (Intravenous) may enhance the adverse/toxic effect of ceftriaxone. Ceftriaxone binds to calcium forming an insoluble precipitate. Concurrent or sequential use (within 48 hours) of ceftriaxone with calcium-containing solutions is contraindicated in neonates (28 days of age or younger). In other patients, these solutions can be used sequentially if the infusion lines are flushed with a compatible fluid between ceftriaxone and calcium-containing solution infusion.
ClodronateCalcium salts may decrease the serum concentration of bisphosphonate derivatives. Avoid administration of oral calcium supplements within 2 hours before or after tiludronate/clodronate/etidronate.
AlendronateCalcium salts may decrease the serum concentration of bisphosphonate derivatives. Avoid administration of oral calcium supplements within 30 minutes after alendronate/risedronate.
IbandronateCalcium salts may decrease the serum concentration of bisphosphonate derivatives. Avoid administration of oral calcium supplements within 60 minutes after oral ibandronate.
TiludronateCalcium salts may decrease the serum concentration of bisphosphonate derivatives. Avoid administration of oral calcium supplements within 2 hours before or after tiludronate/clodronate/etidronate.
show more »