Correlation Engine 2.0
Clear Search sequence regions

Sizes of these terms reflect their relevance to your search.

Foreign bodies in maxillary sinus (FBMS), whatever their origin or nature, are an unusual clinical condition. Diagnosis is based on the radiological findings in a clinical context of unilateral chronic rhinosinusitis. Treatment is the surgical removal of the intrasinusal foreign body. To identify FBMS, the records of 68 patients with unilateral chronic rhinosinusitis operated on from 2000 to 2007 were reviewed. From 68 records reviewed, we found 11 (16 %) FBMS. Ten (91 %) of these 11 foreign bodies were thought to come from the teeth and the last 1 (9 %) had a non odontogenic origin. Eight of the 11 (73 %) patients with FBMS presented with chronic maxillary sinusitis symptoms and all patients showed radiological findings. Treatment was the surgical removal of the foreign body, in 9 (82 %) patients through endonasal approach by functional endoscopic sinus surgery (FEES) and in the other 2 (18 %) patients a mixed surgical procedure by endonasal meatotomy and oral antrotomy was required. Chronic maxillary sinusitis showing FBMS is rare and it must be suspected with a prior history of dental procedures. The most frequent source of FBMS is material of odontogenic origin, and non-odontogenic origin secondary to an external injury in an accident or assault is much more unusual. We also review the nature of these foreign bodies, their clinical implications and treatment options.


Eduard Bodet Agustí, Ignacio Viza Puiggrós, Coia Romeu Figuerola, Vicenç Martinez Vecina. Foreign bodies in maxillary sinus]. Acta otorrinolaringológica española. 2009 May-Jun;60(3):190-3

Expand section icon Mesh Tags

PMID: 19558905

View Full Text