Correlation Engine 2.0
Clear Search sequence regions

The newborn rat model has been developed to elucidate the mechanism and management of perinatal brain damage. Our study hypothesis is that an acetylcholine receptor agonist (carbachol) reduces hypoxia-ischemia (HI)-induced brain damage in a well-established newborn rat model. 7-day-old Wistar rats were divided into 3 groups at random: carbachol preinjection and HI (Carb/HI), saline preinjection and HI (Saline/HI), and only HI (HI). Rats were subjected to left carotid artery ligation followed by 2 hours of hypoxia (8% oxygen). We injected carbachol or saline before hypoxic loading. After 7 days, we checked for brain damage. In the cerebral cortex, 25% of the Carb/HI group showed mild neural damage, and the remaining 75% showed no damage. In contrast, more than 80% of the Saline/HI and HI groups had severe neural damage. Similarly, neural damage significantly decreased in Carb/HI compared with Saline/HI and HI for CA1, CA2, CA3, and the dentate gyrus of hippocampal regions. Acetylcholine receptor agonist has a potent effect by reducing perinatal brain damage induced by HI in newborn rats.


Seishi Furukawa, Hiroshi Sameshima, Li Yang, Tsuyomu Ikenoue. Acetylcholine receptor agonist reduces brain damage induced by hypoxia-ischemia in newborn rats. Reproductive sciences (Thousand Oaks, Calif.). 2011 Feb;18(2):172-9

Expand section icon Mesh Tags

Expand section icon Substances

PMID: 20959640

View Full Text