Correlation Engine 2.0
Clear Search sequence regions

Telemedicine could be very useful for patients in remote areas experiencing adverse drug reactions or being in need of sophisticated diagnostic or therapeutic procedures. The aim of this article is to show the experience of our Department of Nuclear Medicine (DNM) in telemonitoring patients with differentiated thyroid carcinomas and neuroendocrine tumors. The DNM at the Clinical Center Kragujevac, Serbia, uses continuous remote monitoring of patients' vital functions, including heart rate, electrocardiogram, respiration rate, blood pressure, and oxygen saturation, as well as video surveillance of the physical isolation area for patients with neuroendocrine tumors (NETs) and some patients with differentiated thyroid carcinomas (DTCs), during administration of radionuclide therapy and for the days following treatment. The DNM used a telemonitoring system for 156 patients with either DTC or NET who received radionuclide therapy during the last 3 years. There were 32 interventions on patients in the physical isolation area based on changes of the patients' vital functions detected by the telemonitoring system. Twenty-five patients (78%) experienced symptoms, whereas the other seven patients (22%) were symptomless. A responsible physician intervened with treatment of tachycardia (18 cases), hypertension (10 cases), hypotension (2 cases), ventricular extrasystoles (1 case), and ST-segment depression (1 case). After administration of the treatment the health status of the patients was normalized. From our experience gained over the past 3 years, this model of organization and supervision with a telemonitoring system of patients receiving radionuclide therapy ensures a high level of safety for the patient, with significant reduction of staff costs.


Milovan Matovic, Slobodan Jankovic, Marija Jeremic, Marina Vlajkovic, Vesna Matovic. Online remote monitoring of patients with differentiated thyroid carcinomas and neuroendocrine tumors treated with high doses of radionuclides. Telemedicine journal and e-health : the official journal of the American Telemedicine Association. 2012 May;18(4):264-70

Expand section icon Mesh Tags

Expand section icon Substances

PMID: 22400969

View Full Text