Correlation Engine 2.0
Clear Search sequence regions

  • deer (2)
  • diarrhea (1)
  • fever (1)
  • food (3)
  • humans (1)
  • man (1)
  • meat (2)
  • product (1)
  • safety (1)
  • salmonella (5)
  • Sizes of these terms reflect their relevance to your search.

    An interesting case of gastroenteritis due to Salmonella Birkenhead following ingestion of raw venison sashimi is described. A 65-year-old man presented with diarrhea, vomiting, and fever. On exam he was hypotensive, tachycardic, with evidence of severe dehydration following ingestion of raw venison sashimi produced with game meat hunted on the Hawaiian island of Lana'i. He responded rapidly to vigorous volume resuscitation, and stool cultures later were positive for Salmonella Birkenhead. Non-typhoidal Salmonella is the most frequently identified cause of foodborne illness in the United States. Clinicians in the state of Hawai'i should be alert and aware of the potential for the local deer population to be an unusual source of foodborne illness, especially given the prevalence of consumption of raw foods in the local cuisine.


    Cristian S Madar, Anthony P Cardile, Scott Cunningham, Gil Magpantay, David Finger. A case of Salmonella gastroenteritis following ingestion of raw venison sashimi. Hawai'i journal of medicine & public health : a journal of Asia Pacific Medicine & Public Health. 2012 Feb;71(2):49-50

    Expand section icon Mesh Tags

    PMID: 22454811

    View Full Text