Correlation Engine 2.0
Clear Search sequence regions

Sizes of these terms reflect their relevance to your search.

Spinal cord lesions are traditionally classified as either extradural or intradural extramedullary or of intramedullary origin. Intramedullary spinal cord tumours are histopathologically similar to cranial tumours with a diverse range of pathologies. Astrocytomas and ependymomas account for approximately 80% of all intramedullary tumours, with other primary and secondary lesions accounting for the remaining 20%. Magnetic resonance imaging is the preferred imaging modality for diagnosing and characterising spinal cord lesions; however, accurate characterisation of tumour histology can be challenging, and is further confounded by intramedullary non-neoplastic lesions, such as demyelinating vascular, inflammatory, infectious, or traumatic lesions. This review illustrates the spectrum of intramedullary tumours and tumour mimics with emphasis on the imaging findings. Copyright © 2020 The Royal College of Radiologists. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.


S G Kandemirli, A Reddy, P Hitchon, J Saini, G Bathla. Intramedullary tumours and tumour mimics. Clinical radiology. 2020 Nov;75(11):876.e17-876.e32

Expand section icon Mesh Tags

PMID: 32591229

View Full Text