Correlation Engine 2.0
Clear Search sequence regions

Sizes of these terms reflect their relevance to your search.

The photo-oxidation of arsenite (As(III)) in solution containing Suwannee River fulvic acid (SRFA) under the ultraviolet A (UVA) irradiation (λmax = 365 nm) was studied. In a solution containing 100.0 μg·L-1 As(III) and 10.0 mg·L-1 SRFA at pH 3.0, SRFA induced As(III) photo-oxidation by producing the triplet excited state of SRFA (3SRFA*) and hydroxyl radical(HO˙). Approximately 82% of As(III) oxidation was attributed to HO˙ which depended strongly on HO2˙/O2˙-. The remaining 18% of As(III) oxidation was attributed to the direct reaction between As(III) and 3SRFA*. The photo-oxidation of As(III) was significantly affected by solution pH. Excess SRFA inhibited As(III) photo-oxidation. The addition of a low concentration of ferric ions retarded the photo-oxidation of As(III) due to the poor photo-activity of Fe(III)-SRFA complexes. In contrast, the addition of ferric ions at high concentration greatly accelerated As(III) photo-oxidation because of the high photo-activity of Fe(III)-OH complexes. The fractions of SRFA with different molecular weight showed different oxidizing capacities under UV irradiation which was possibly related to the different contents of phenolic OH groups. The findings have important environmental implications for the photo-transformation behavior of As(III) in natural surface waters containing dissolved organic matter, especially acidic waters. © 2021. The Author(s), under exclusive licence to Springer-Verlag GmbH Germany, part of Springer Nature.


Yajie Wang, Xianhe Gong, Xin Dong. Photo-oxidation of arsenite in acidic waters containing Suwannee River fulvic acid: roles of 3SRFA* and hydroxyl radical. Environmental science and pollution research international. 2021 Sep;28(33):45144-45154

Expand section icon Mesh Tags

Expand section icon Substances

PMID: 33864218

View Full Text