Correlation Engine 2.0
Clear Search sequence regions


Sizes of these terms reflect their relevance to your search.

Therapeutic drug monitoring (TDM) may optimize biologic and thiopurine therapies in inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). The study aimed to investigate implementation and utilization of TDM in Scandinavia. A web-based questionnaire on the use of TDM was distributed to Scandinavian gastroenterologists via the national societies. In total, 297 IBD physicians prescribing biologic therapies, equally distributed between community and university hospitals, were included (response rate 42%) (Norway 118 (40%), Denmark 86 (29%), Sweden 50 (17%), Finland 33 (11%), Iceland 10 (3%)). Overall, TDM was applied during biologic therapies by 87%, and for TNF-inhibitors >90%. Among the users, reactive and proactive TDM were utilized by 90% and 63%, respectively. Danish physicians were significantly less inclined to use TDM compared to other Scandinavian countries; (58% vs 98%); OR 0.03 [0.01-0.09], p < 0.001). Reactive TDM was commonly applied at primary (74%) and secondary (99%) treatment failure. Proactive TDM was used by 80% during maintenance therapy and 56% during induction and more commonly utilized in Norway (p < 0.001), and by physicians managing >10 IBD patients/week (p = 0.005). TDM scenarios were interpreted in accord with available evidence but with discrepancies for proactive TDM. The main barriers to TDM were lack of guidelines (51%) and time lag between sampling and results (49%). TDM of thiopurines was routinely used by 87%. TDM of biologic and thiopurine therapies has been broadly implemented into clinical practice in Scandinavia. However, physicians call for TDM guidelines detailing indications and interpretations of test results along with improved test response times.

Citation

Kristin H Bjørlykke, Jørgen Jahnsen, Jørn Brynskov, Pauliina Molander, Michael Eberhardson, Loà G Davidsdottir, Taina Sipponen, Henrik Hjortswang, Guro Løvik Goll, Silje Watterdal Syversen, Ebbe Langholz, Kristin K Jørgensen, Casper Steenholdt. Therapeutic drug monitoring in inflammatory bowel disease: implementation, utilization, and barriers in clinical practice in Scandinavia. Scandinavian journal of gastroenterology. 2023 Jan;58(1):25-33

Expand section icon Mesh Tags

Expand section icon Substances


PMID: 35996928

View Full Text