Correlation Engine 2.0
Clear Search sequence regions
Bookmark Forward

QuickView for Ramelteon (compound)

Name: ramelteon
PubChem Compound ID: 10858193
Molecular formula: C16H21NO2
Molecular weight: 259.343 g/mol
Name: ramelteon
Name (isomeric): DB00980
Drug Type: small molecule
Brand: Rozerem
Category: Hypnotics and Sedatives
CAS number: 196597-26-9
Indication: For the treatment of insomnia characterized by difficulty with sleep onset.
Ramelteon is the first selective melatonin agonist. It works by mimicking melatonin (MT), a naturally occuring hormone that is produced during the sleep period and thought to be responsible for the regulation of circadian rhythm underlying the normal sleep-wake cycle. Ramelteon has a high affinity for the MT1 and MT2 receptors...
show more »
Mechanism of Action:
Ramelteon is a melatonin receptor agonist with both high affinity for melatonin MT1 and MT2 receptors, and lower selectivity for the MT3 receptor. Melatonin production is concurrent with nocturnal sleep, meaning that an increase in melatonin levels is related to the onset of self-reported sleepiness and an increase...
show more »
Absorption: Rapid, total absorption is at least 84%.
Protein binding: ~82% (in human serum)
Biotransformation: Hepatic
Route of elimination: Following oral administration of radiolabeled ramelteon, 84% of total radioactivity was excreted in urine and approximately 4% in feces, resulting in a mean recovery of 88%. Less than 0.1% of the dose was excreted in urine and feces as the parent compound.
Half Life: ~1-2.6 hours
Affected organisms: Humans and other mammals
Food interaction:
Avoid alcohol.
Do not take with or immediately after a high-fat meal.
Drug interaction:
ThiabendazoleThiabendazole increases levels/toxicity of ramelteon
ZileutonZileuton increases levels/toxicity of ramelteon
TacrineTacrine increases levels/toxicity of ramelteon
KetoconazoleKetoconazole may increase the serum levels and toxicity of ramelteon.
FluvoxamineFluvoxamine may increase the serum level and toxicity of ramelteon.
show more »